Friday, March 19, 2010

1. Christina Empedocles




JuxtaPoz on Christian:
I dig how Christina Empedocles' source material is in essence, her work. Christina folds and pins images, creating sculptural pieces and then those pieces become paintings and drawings as well. Her work to me is like the technique and process version of M.C. Escher, if you catch my drift. However, clearly way more refined and beautiful. I recently asked Christina to tell me about her choice in media and her thoughts behind her work:

The wax pencil has a different feel to me than graphite or charcoal, and in a way blends more like oil paint, (the medium I was trained in), while giving me more control and precision. When I draw pictures of pictures I am pointing out the disconnect between myself and the subject. [I'm] trying to show that my relationship to nature has become a relationship to the images of nature. In the same way portraits function for me as a way to show how my relationship to history has become a collection of trinkets.

Check out Christina's Portfolio HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment